Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Love Your Freckles, Hate Your Sunspots!

Last summer, while on a beach vacation, I was absolutely horrified when two sunspots I had been trying to fade re-appeared after only one sun-soaked day without re-applying SPF. Call it the curse of the Irish, English, whatever...freckley, moley skin is my birthright. I used to hate my freckles and cover them up with spackle until an ex-boyfriend told me he actually loved them. I still wear foundation, but only on the areas that need it, and I avoid my nose and cheeks where my freckles are the most prominent. I now find great joy in letting the real me shine through, freckles, splotches and all. I love them!

Recently a dermotologist told me I had "chocolate chipping" around my hairline...or freckle-like discoloration that results in tiny blotches on your skin. It sure sounded like something horrible that anyone would want to get rid of, and they promised me $300 a piece for multiple laser sessions to do just that. You know what? I told them to shove it. I like my "chocolate chips". I love that my skin has different colors and shades to it. I look at my  freckles and splotches as tiny kisses of summers past and memories of happy times. Anyone who thinks freckles aren't hot need only look at two Victorias Secret Models, Marissa Miller and Erin Heatherton. I also think actress Rashida Jones has the cutest freckles EVER!

Victoria's Secret model Marisa Miller Sans Make-Up, with another freckle-faced model


Victoria's Secret Model Erin Heatherton

Actress Rashida Jones


Now, sun spots are an entirely different thing. Those weirdly shaped dark blotches, about the size of an eraser head, make me want to rip my hair out. They don't look cute, they aren't hot, and they are almost impossible to cover up. How do you prevent them? Never, ever go in the sun. If you don't have anyone in your entire family history who is from the British Isles, or if you are Italian, Mediterranean, Indian or Black, you have a slightly less of a chance of developing them, but the chance is still there; and once you get them, they are almost impossible to get rid of. Even if you manage to fade your sunspots in the Winter months, even one day in the sun can make them come right back.


An extremely large sunspot. YIKES!

To help fight and cover your sunspots, you need the following beauty weapons in your aresenal:

1. Sunscreen of 30 and above- One to try, Peter Thomas Roth Mineral Powder Sunscreen for Oily Skin
2. Skin Cream/Serum with Vitamin C- One to try, Serious Skin Care Precious C, Serious Skin Care C Morning Magic, Garnier Anti-Sun Damage
3. Hydroquinone Lightening Cream- One to try- Ambi Skin Discoloration Fade Cream (For a higher level of hydroquinone, see your dermotologist)
4. Cleanser with Vitamin C, Soy, or Licorice- One to try Serious Skin Care C-Clean, Aveeno Positively Radiant
5. Concealer with Strong Coverage (DON'T COVER YOUR FRECKLES!)- One to try Maybelline Superstay Concealer; Dermablend Smooth Indulgence

These products may help you manage your sunspots, but will not make them disappear. If you are interested in laser treatments, keep in mind that they are costly and that many spots will re-appear if your skin is not properly protected. Check the internet for licensed laser treatment centers in your area. As always, make sure that any treatment that you have administered is safe and in the hands of a licensed professional.

Maybe an easier and safer route to go is just to let your skin be your skin (love the freckles, but cover the sunspots)? This girly-girl says yes!



1 comment:

  1. Rodan + Fields Reverse Regimen gets rid of age spots/sun damage too! Plus this regimen comes w/it's own daily moisturizer that has sunscreen in it. My Mom's been using it for 2 months and she looks 15 yrs younger!! (And yes, I am a real person and so is she!) :) Doctors Rodan and Fields are the doctors who created Proactiv. Rodan + Fields is their full skin care line. Check it out: Reverse Regimen: atrammell.myrandf.com/Shop/Reverse
    My Rodan + Fields Website:
    atrammell.myrandf.com/Home
    Thanks, Megs!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete