Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Eye Shadow 101- Baby, where'd you get those eyes?

I'll admit it. Doing your eye make up can be tricky. I am still deathly afraid of liquid eyeliner (eek!). But, there are some products out there that can make things a little easier.

For eyeliner, brown eyeliner pencil is always a good option. If you have darker features or are going out on the town, black eyeliner pencil is great as well. When I was younger, I didn't even use eyeliner. I pressed the wand of my mascara along the base of my lower lashes for a more natural eyeliner effect. If you are ready for a step up from brown and black eyeliner, I love, love, love Almay's line of Intense I Color eyeliner pencil collection. I have brown eyes, and I adore the Purple Amethyst pencil. It really makes my eyes pop, and it is sharpened automatically, so you don't need a pencil sharpener.  Also, you don't need to know ahead of time what color looks good with your eyes, Almay will list the matching eye color on the product packaging. One of my roommates in college (Hook 'em!) always used Clinique Quickliner For Eyes in True Khaki on her hazel eyes, and it made her eyes look amazing.

For eyeshadow, I am not as crazy about the Almay Intense I- Color eyeshadow line. In my opinion, the colors they choose can wash your eyes out rather than intensify them. A better option for step-by-step, color selected, no hassle eyeshadow sets is the Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips collections. They come with 3 blendable eye shadow combos (lid, crease and browbone) that you can also mix and match. I have the original collection set for brown eyes that come with great purples, browns and a golden color. I have my Shimmer Strips in my purse for quick touch ups, since it includes just about every color I wear on my eyes, and it is all in one package. The gold eyeshadow color is also great to put right on the center of your lid, so that your eyes catch the light when you blink. This trick can also be done with every eye color. Try this on your own using a color like MAC Goldmine.

Some complimentary eyeshadow colors:

1. Brown Eyes- Soft purples, such as Sugarplum by Trish McEvoy. Darker skin
can use darker purples such as Marvel by MAC.
2. Green Eyes- Khaki browns, and soft greens such as Clinique Color Surge
Soft Shimmer in Key Lime Pie
3. Hazel Eyes- Rosy browns such as Loreal Infinite Wear for Hazel Eyes
4. Blue Eyes- Rusty browns, such as Maybelline Expert Wear Eyeshadow
Quads in Sunlit Bronze.


For a quick, no brainer, every day eye make-up look, follow the steps below:

1. Cover eye lid area and under eye circles (if needed) with a concealer (or eye base) that matches your skin tone.
2. Use brown eyeliner along upper and lower lash lines
3.Use sparkly or matt beige/light brown/shell eyeshadow on lids.
4. Darker brown (rust for light eyes) eyseshadow on the crease of the eye.
5. Brown or Black/Brown mascara for light eyed, light haired ladies to complete your look. Black mascara for dark haired and dark eyed ladies (those brown eyed blondes with brown eyes who were once brunettes. Ssssh!)







I don't really like the Cover Girl Eyelights mascara collection or the Almay Intense-I collection mascaras. I don't think they bring out the eyes any different than regular mascara. If you want your eyes to sparkle, lightly dust your lashes with shimmer powder over your mascara, or line your eyes with a sparkly eyeliner (I love the Palladio Glitter Eye Pencil. It is cheap and works great!)  Dark haired or dark eyed girls can really make their eyes pop by using mascara in colors like Blackest Black or Carbon, like the volumizing and lengthening Jemma Kid Lash Extension Volume Mascara.

For an evening look, try smokey eyes. They are not as scary as they seem! All you need is to follow the steps above, except trade in the brown eyeliner for black, and the dark brown on the eye crease for a dark brown or smokey gray shadow. Instead of a light fanning of shadow along the crease, fan your eyeshadow out more dramatically to where the corner of the sideways "V" lines up with the end of your eyebrows, and then fan it down diagonally towards the corner of your eye. Top it off with carbon mascara and you are good to go! The Too Faced Smokey Eye Kit has all the colors you need for the basic smokey eye, along with how tos. On extra special nights, try a sparkly dark shadow in your crease such as Trish McEvoy Charcoal Diamond Eye Definer (used as eyeshadow rather than liner. Not for the inexperienced).  Brown eyed girls look great in Deep Amethyst by Trish McEvoy (used as eyeshadow rather than liner. Not for the inexperienced) For a really cool site with step by step instructions and tutorials on smokey eyes, visit http://www.smokeyeyetutorial.net/.

Some people also like to put a dab of off white sparkly eyeshadow in the corner of the inside of their eye as a highlighter, but it has always looked odd on me when I have tried it!  Also, a lot of people use a beige color above the eyeshadow crease to highlight the brow bone, but I don't do this myself. I think using a concealer as a base color is fine. Shimmery pale colors on the brow bone can make people look like a raccoon in my opinion.

Now, if anyone can figure out how to do a straight line with liquid eyeliner, let me know. I don't quite have that down yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment