Friday, January 21, 2011

Xen-Tan Scent Secure- New Self-Tan Scent Blocker!

This product has not even come out yet, but I was lucky enough to get my hands on a bottle, and this is a great product that anyone who uses self-tanner and hates the smell has been waiting for!

What it is: Xen-Tan Scent Secure is a moisturizing scent blocker that blocks out the self-tan scent.  You apply it just as you would a regular moisturizer, and according to the label, it can be used one hour after you have applied self- tanner, and anytime after your self- tan has processed.

Why it is great: This product is great because it actually works. Self-tanning products smell because the proteins in your body mix with the DHA in self-tanners to produce the tan color in you skin.  As anyone who has self-tanned knows, the self-tan smell can begin as soon as the "tan"starts to develop in your skin, and can last for days. The good news is Scent Secure can be used with ANY self-tanner, whether it is from Xen-Tan, or the drugstore, and it will help block out the terrible self-tan smell. It is also oil free and has a fresh cucumber scent that is a nice change from the sometimes cloying vanilla scents found in most Xen-Tan products.

Any drawbacks?-  You have to make sure that you have covered every part of your body that has been self-tanned, or that area will retain the self-tan smell. Also, according to the directions on the bottle, you have to wait an hour until you apply if if you are applying it with self-tanner. In my opinion, if you add the Scent Secure while your self-tanner is first processing, it does not work very well. From my experience, it is best to apply Scent Secure after you have finished processing your tan and have bathed or showered. Scent Secure also has to be re-applied every time you bathe or exercise. If you get really, really close, you may still be able to smell a small amount of self-tanner on your skin depending on your body chemistry (my boyfriend could still smell it on my face and neck).  I have gone to work all day wearing Scent Secure the day after self- tanning, and have worn it to bed, and I was very comfortable, and I normally hate the smell of self tanner. Scent Secure really made self-tanning more appealing to me.The price of Scent Secure is also not cheap, it is $32 dollars for a 8 oz bottle.

Bottom Line- Even though this product did not work well on me while the self-tanner I used was processing, it does work great at blocking the stinky self-tan smell after I had tanned and bathed. It also left my skin fresh and moisturized. Scent Secure is also oil free, meaning it won't irritate acne prone skin. I do want to mention that I was only using Light-Medium self-tan products, so those people who are experienced deep tanners may have to use a lot more Scent Secure, and it may not work as well. For daily or light-medium self-tanners looking to minimize the self-tan smell after tanning, it is definitely worth the $32.
Where to buy it-  You can't buy Xen-Tan Scent Secure until sometime in February, but when it is available you can purchase it at Nordstroms, or http://www.xen-tan.com/.

Update 6/28/11- I have found several people searching for this product online to see if it really works, and I want to add that this product works best with lighter DHA formula tanners, such as tanners from the drugstore, like Neutrogena MicroMist, and Loreal' Sublime Bronze, and works less well with Xen-Tan's actual products, since they are higher in DHA. You have to use quite a bit of this product to get it to completely cover the self-tanning smell, and it only works for me after I have waited three hours and bathed, and then applied it to freshly-cleansed skin (it also may need to be re-applied throughout the day). Still, I find this product to be a must-have for self-tanners. Any blocking of the self-tan smell is a blessing to me!

2 comments:

  1. would you recommend using this along with xen tan face light/medium shade? i really want to try it but the price is really high for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi M'Kay- I actually have the light/medium shade of facial tanner from Xen-Tan. In my opinion, the light/medium shade from Xen-Tan would be a Medium/Deep in drugstore tanning products. Have you used it before? Use a tiny amount unless you have a base tan. The product is great, but should be used very sparingly. Yes, unfortunately, I can still smell a trace amount when I use the Xen-Tan Facial Tanner with the Xen Tan Scent Blocker, but it is better than nothing. Also, the bottle of Scent Blocker is pretty big and lasts a long time. I would make the purchase if I were you. It definitely helps.

    ReplyDelete