Monday, January 31, 2011

Primer Time-L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

It's secret! It's magic! It's perfecting! It's a base (not really)!


First things first- this is not a base in the sense that a base is another word for foundation. This is a primer. What is a primer? A primer is a product that goes on before your make-up (or can be used in place of it) that can smooth out pores, soften wrinkles and make your make up last longer. Think of it as a type of "base coat" like you would use for your nails, but for your face instead.

If you are a get up and go, natural type of gal, I really doubt that you are going to use a primer if you barely wear make up.  It's not that it is hard to use, not at all, it is just hard to remember! For me, this would mean fitting in primer after two serums and a moisturizer. Woosh! That can be a lot for a girl who just woke up. Even a girly girl! (Primer goes on after any moisturizer and serums you use. You want to use it right before your put on your concealer, foundation, etc.)

Well, this morning I decided to give this L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base (what a mouthful!) a try. Honestly, I was not expecting a lot. I had used primer before, and wasn't all that impressed. But, then again, I never used a primer with "Magic" in the title.

The jar opening is about the size of your fingernail, so it is a little hard to get out. The primer has a slight pink color before you put it on, but it goes on colorless and leaves a matte finish on your face. You don't have to use a lot of it, which may be why there is not much of it in the tiny jar. Instantly, it made my face feel like velvet, and my pores seemed smoother. But, at this point, I didn't see that much of a change from my normal made up face. At least not enough to add this product in to my beauty routine every day. 

At lunchtime, I took a look in the car mirror to check out (car mirrors never lie the way bathroom mirrors do) my face. My make up looked better than normal. My skin looked clearer and fresher, the tone of my skin was more unified, and it looked like I was wearing less make up. Aha! It was the L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base!  I could really see a difference in my face in the natural light. My make up had gone on much easier, and stayed fresh.  It even looked great when I was leaving work, and in to the evening. They don't really talk about the lasting effect of this product, but that is my favorite part.  My skin is combination/oily, and by the end of the day, most of my make up usually has come off. With this product, my face looked great all day. Some reviews I have  read on this product call it oily, but I did not find it to be oily at all on my skin.

Pros- Lightweight, helps fill in pores and soften wrinkles. Makes your skin soft and velvety. Make up seems to last much longer and look fresher.

Cons- TINY jar of product. Expensive for just a little bit of primer. Easy to forget to use it.

Bottom Line- L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base is a great product for people who love make up and have the time to use a primer. I do wish it came in a bigger jar, and that there was more of it. The small jar is easy to lose in my make up kit,  and it is hard to get the product out of. It also seems like only a little bit of product for $13. At any rate, this product softens and smooths your skin and makes your make up go on smoother and last longer. I love the way it made my make up look, and my make up lasted all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment