Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Are you wearing the right bra size? I wasn't!

For as long as I can remember, my bra size has been a 34B. I don't know if I have ever been measured. My mom just started buying me bras in that size in junior high, and that is what I thought I was. Always. Not once did it ever occur to me that my bra size could have had changed. (By the way, your breasts can decrease and increase in size throughout your life. This can be due to gaining weight, losing weight, having children, or natural breast growth).  We are talking about a long time folks, almost 20 years of wearing the same size bra. While researching one of my earlier posts, I came across an article on bra sizes on the internet.  The article said that women surprisingly don't often size themselves up a cup size, they size themselves down.  Then it listed some things to look for to see if you are wearing the wrong size bra. Here are some of the red flags:

1. Breasts spilling over the side or front of your bra.
2. Bra straps feel too tight.
3. Bra band feels too tight.

Well, number one was a definite for me, so I decided to measure myself. Sure enough, I was not a 34B, I was actually a 34C. In complete and utter shock, I then proceeded to my neighborhood Target (the best store on the planet), and bought myself two 34C bras.

Well, the bras I purchased fit perfectly. My chest actually looked better than ever because I was no longer being squished down in to a bra size that wasn't correct.

If you are experiencing any of the issues I listed above, and you have a tape measure handy, I suggest following the steps below to check and make sure you are the bra size you think you are. You may end up being really surprised.

How to find your bra size:

Using a flexible tape measure, remove your top and bra, and do the calculations below.

Step 1: Measure your Band Size- This is the area right underneath your breasts.

If the measurement is even: Add four inches
If the measurement is odd: Add five inches

Step 2: Measure your Cup Size- This is the distance from the tip of your nipples around your back.

Step 3: Calculate your measurements- Subtract your band size from your cup size.

Then find the difference below:

If Your Answer Is:Your Cup Size Is:
0"-1/2" (1.3 cm)AA
1/2"- 1" (2.6 cm)A
2" (5.1 cm)B
3" (7.6 cm)C
4" (10.2 cm)D
5" (12.7 cm) DD or E
6" (15.2 cm)DDD or F
7" (17.8 cm)G
8" (20.3 cm)H
9" (22.9 cm)I
10" (25.4 cm)J


So, if your band size is 34" and your cup size is C, your bra size is 34C.

This formula may not work for everyone, so if you have any questions, visit your local department store or Victoria's Secret for a professional bra fitting. Also, make sure to try on your bras before buying, as standard bra sizes can differ.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is quite true. Women don't measure their bust size regularly which results in ill-fitting bras! Some say wearing well fitted bras can give you comfort and your breasts' appearance will be enhanced. Push-up bras are perfect for boosting their sizes up.

    ReplyDelete