Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Picture Posing- Go Ahead and Take My Picture!

During college I had my picture taken almost every time I went to a party whether I liked it or not. Back then, your picture was going to be available from party pics whether you had a goofy smile on your face and hips as wide as the Sierra Madre, or not. There wasn't even Facebook back then! I can't even imagine what young girls go through nowadays in High School and College, having no control over what pictures are taken and posted of them online (Be careful!). Anyways, having to deal random pictures being taken has made me somewhat of a joke with my friends who say that now I pose for the camera ALL THE TIME. Well, I guess I do. I do it because I have to. Doesn't everyone want to take the best pictures they can?  Here are some picture-posing tips I have learned from years of trial and lots of error.

First things first, the camera is all about angles, and if you smile and pose at the camera straight on, you are going to look bigger than you are. Unless you have a killer body, never face the camera directly. Turn to the side whenever you can, place your hands on your hips with one hip slightly raised, and place one foot in front of the other. If you are in the middle of a group and can't turn to the side, at least place one foot in front of the other. This will make your legs look thinner. If you have wide arms, try to stand sideways with your hand on your hip(s), with your elbow(s) angled as far back as you can. This will make your arms look thinner. If you are in a big group, try to stand in the middle so that you can put your arms around and behind the people next to you, this will help disguise your chicken wings (if you have them!).

If your cheeks are of the chipmunk variety (like mine), always lift your chin slightly higher than feels comfortable if you are facing forward towards the camera.  I know this feels awkward, but it will make your cheeks look thinner. To give your face an even more angled look, turn your chin slightly towards your shoulder and lift your cheekbones up. I have one cheek that is slightly larger than the other on my left side, so I always try to lift that side up to balance out my other cheek.

Also, as far as dressing is concerned, one tip I have learned the hard way is: don't wear any kind of babydoll or empire waisted tops or dresses if you are going to get your picture taken! The billowy waist that looks so cute in real life is going to look like a big stomach in pictures, even if you are tiny. No matter what your weight concerns are, dressing to play up your assets always looks great in pictures. If you have a tiny waist, cinch it in, if you have a great chest, play it up (tastefully).

Finally, one last tip. If you are over the age of 22, it really doesn't look great to have a drink in your hand in any picture. So, put down that drink before any picture is taken, even if you are at a party. I know this sounds really picky, but think of all the people that are your friends on Facebook, for example. Friends, family, co-workers...People will always assume the worst, and if you have a drink in your hand in one picture, people will assume you were boozing it up all night, even if you only had two drinks. I constantly go through Facebook and try to delete questionable old pictures where I have drinks in my hand whenever I can. It just doesn't look good.

Here are my picture-posing tips in a nutshell:

1. In pictures, if you are standing up, always turn to the side, with your  hand on one hip, and one foot in front of the other.
2. Lift up your chin when facing forward in pictures, or angle your chin towards your shoulder.
3. If your face is unbalanced, lift up the bigger side when taking a picture.
4. Never wear baby-doll or empire waist dresses in pictures.
5. Play up your assets.
6. Put down any drinks before a picture is taken.

If you forget any of these tips, look at US Weekly at the pictures of female celebrities. They are the best posers of all, because the press is just waiting to call them fat or expecting. Just don't look at any pictures of Lindsey Lohan. Well, unless you are looking for what not to do.

4 comments:

  1. You are the best picture poser I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh..thanks Steph, I think that is a compliment!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew taking pictures could be so complicated! :) Any tips for someone who always closes their eyes in photos when a flash is involved? My friend wants to know....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, that is a great question and I should add it to my post. I used to have a big problem doing that. I solved it by blinking a lot, or close your eyes for a couple of moments while the picture is getting set up, people are moving around, etc. Then, when the camera person is ready to go, don't blink at all until the picture is taken. Focus on something else (like my posing tips), so you are not thinking about not blinking (which makes you blink). Hope this helps, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete