Monday, March 28, 2011

John Frieda's 3-Day Straight- Miracle Worker, or Over-hyped Straightening Spray?

3-Day Straight by John Frieda makes some pretty big claims. Three days of super-straight locks for those with curly hair? All you need is a blow-dryer and straightening iron? I had to try it. I do have wavy, and not curly hair, but I figured that if  the product works on curly hair, it will do wonders on my wavy hair!
Here is what the John Frieda website says about 3 Day Straight:

3-Day Straight™ spray utilizes a new proprietary thermo-plastic polymer technology that is patented by Kao Corporation and is not available to competitors. This technology, activated by the heat of a flat iron, transforms curly hair into naturally flexible, straight hair. This product is designed for use with a flat iron to straighten hair and to keep hair straight for up to 3 days. This is the first product of its kind due to the semi-permanency that allows hair to remain straight for 3 days. Competitive products utilize conventional polymers/silicones that do not provide this unique, long-lasting effect.

Here are my findings:

Day 1- After washing my hair and towel drying it. I sprayed my long hair with about 15 sprays (as the bottle recommends), making sure to spray my hair thoroughly all the way down to the ends, with a light misting at my bangs, where my hair is the most unruly due to heat damage. Then, I blew dry my hair while using a straightening brush. After blow drying, I flat ironed my hair with a Chi straightening iron in sections.  I noticed that my hair straightened much easier than usual, and it had a different, smoother texture, without using a ton of additional product. It also felt less greasy than it usually does, because I did not need to use a ton of serum to get my hair straight.  I was very pleased with how great my hair looked!  Unfortunately, after about an hour, the front left side of my layered hair began to slightly bend. The rest of my hair stayed straight. The cuticle also looked much smoother than usual. I could also not see as many split ends as I usually do.

Day 2- When I woke up in the morning, my hair was wavy underneath, but not as much as it usually is when I wake up after straightening my hair the night before. I also had sprayed to close to the roots of my hair to get my bangs, and that area was a slightly over saturated with product, and a little oily due to the natural oilyness of my hair at the scalp area. I had to do the touch-ups with the straightening iron, that the bottle mentions may occur.  Contradictory to this, the marketing on the website says that on Day 2 you can "Stay in bed a little longer. Linger over your morning coffee".  This was not the case for me. After the touch ups, my hair looked straight and great all day, with a slight touch up that evening before I went to a party.

Day 3- My hair was pretty wavy all over, much as it usually is when I wake up after straightening the night before, only this was day three. My hair is too oily to go this long without washing (this is not due to the product, but my natural hair). Even so, My hair was not as straight as I think it should have been due to the claims made on the bottle, and I had to do quite a bit of touch ups to get it straight. I then wore it up to disguise the oilyness.

Bottom Line- I think this product works great, but not as it claims. I will definitely buy it again, but more as a general high-powered straightening product, not to get a full three days of perfectly straight hair (I couldn't use it that long without washing, anyways). Keep in mind that my hair is also not the "curly" hair the bottle mentions this product is for. I would be curious to know how this product works on someone with that type of hair, since I had problems with my own wavy hair curling up while using this product.

Where to Purchase- Drugstores everywhere or Drugstore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment