Friday, March 18, 2011

Rimmel Lash Accelerator Mascara

This is how the Rimmel website describes their lash accelerator:

Our first mascara and lash treatment in one that works both instantly, and over time. The advanced ultra-lengthening formula instantly makes lashes appear up to 80% longer!

Rimmel also conducted research on 41 women, and says their lashes grew up to 117% longer in one month of use. After one week they saw stronger lashes .

According to Rimmel, the magic ingredient that causes the lengthening is Procapil, which is said to stimulate hair growth at the root. Procapil does work on the scalp, but according to my research online, it has never been proven to work in mascara.

This product is probably not going to make your lashes grow, although this has not been proven either. Lashes are already dead (just like your hair is). Think about the proven lash accelerator, Latisse, that is sold for around $100 from your dermatologist's office.  It is applied along the edge of lashes like eyeliner, exactly where the roots of the eyelashes are located.  Studies show that you can stimulate root growth on the scalp, which is where Procapil has been tested.  It is rare that anyone uses mascara close enough to the root to actually make a difference, and Procapil has not been proven to do so anyway.

The best thing to do is to think about this lash accelerator like a really good hair conditioner. If you condition your hair, it can appear thicker and stronger, and it is less likely to break off. This can make it look fuller, longer and healthier. This lash accelarator does the same thing and works in a similar way. It conditions your lashes, which makes them less likely to break from mascara or eyelash curler use. After using this product for a few weeks, your eyelashes can appear to be more full and lush, not necessarily because they magically grew, but because they are conditioned. The lash accelerator formula also deposits small fibers on the ends of your lashes to make them appear longer when you apply the mascara. This is why Rimmel says the product makes your lashes instantly look "80% longer", not because it is causing your lashes to actually grow.

As far as my personal review is concerned, I love this product. I have used it for almost a month, and my eyelashes look great. My lashes look like they have grown and multiplied, even though I think they are really just in better condition. The brush actually works really well to catch fine hairs on the corner of your eyes and along the lash line, but I find that I actually use this mascara along with another one to get the coverage I need. 

I am not alone in my positive review. From checking the internet, it seems like most people who have tried this product have seen great results, and actually believe that it is making their lashes grow (we know better). This is good stuff.

Bottom Line- This is a great product that will condition your lashes so that they will naturally appear longer and thicker after you have used it for several weeks. It also instantly adds fibers to the ends of your lashes to produce results right away. You may need to use this mascara in conjunction with an additional mascara to separate and cover all of your lashes effectively.

Where to purchase- Your local drugstore, or http://www.rimmel.com/

2 comments:

  1. I was looking for a self-tanner. Does this mean if I try the product and turn orange instead of getting that nice glowing self-tan you will buy me lunch? I think you need to fully back the products you are endorsing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you posted on the Rimmell Mascara. Does that mean I need to endorse that too? LOL!!! I should put a disclaimer at the bottom of all my posts. No, but seriously, if it turns you orange, I would like to know.

    ReplyDelete